https://umaine.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobID=46597&job=pesticide-safety-education-program-professional (id:46597) Campus:Orono Department:Cooperative Extension Bargaining Unit:UMPSA Salary Band/Wage Band:41,000 to 47,000 Work Schedule: University of Maine Cooperative Extension office hours are weekdays from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Purpose: The University of Maine Cooperative Extension invites applications for a Pesticide Safety Education Program Professional to begin work Spring, 2018 based in Pest Management Office located at the University of Maine in Orono. This position is full-time, contingent upon funding & adequate performance. The position will be responsible for delivering/coordinating educational programs in support of PSEP that align with the University of Maine Extension’s mission and plan of work.The position is expected to work collaboratively with faculty, professional and classified staff. Typical hiring range for this position is $41,000 to $47,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Edits, updates, revises, writes and adapts study material for use in Maine’s PSEP program.
- Coordinates the daily aspects of the PSEP program.
- Delivers/coordinates educational programs in support of PSEP that align with the University of Maine Extension’s mission and plan of work.
- Assists in the implementation of IPM programs in various commodities including outreach to communities.
- Assists in the design and implementation of a plan of work that addresses priorities in Pest Management, especially in PSEP.
- Coordinates the delivery of workshops, webinars, and short courses that enhance client knowledge and capacity for applied learning in pesticide safety, pest management including commercial, private, and the general public.
- Work collaboratively with other agencies, organizations, and citizen advisory groups to uniquely address priority issues with an emphasis on greatest potential audience impact through statewide and multi-state programs.
- Collaborate with Extension colleagues and other agency staff to deliver programs in community settings
- Assist and extend efforts in securing external grants and contracts for program expansion and sustainability.
- Create new or draw upon existing educational resources and materials for use in educational programs.
- Support faculty in assessing local needs as part of grant development and implementation.
- Serve on local, regional and state program development teams related to pest management/pesticide education.
- Serve on organizational development and governance committees.
- Report program activities and impacts on Plugged-In.
- Ensure compliance with affirmative action and equal employment opportunity guidelines.
- Develop and sustain a professional development plan in support of one’s professional and organizational priorities.
- Maintains various aspects of the website for PMO programing in pest and pesticide education.
- Participate in PMO Extension Staff meetings as a member of the PMO as appropriate
- Participate in organizational program meetings to support program development that reflects the PMO programs.
- Other duties as assigned that relate to UMCE Pest Management mission, especially as they relate to the PSEP program.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in biological sciences or plant science related fields
- Skill in developing and delivering educational programs.
- Oral and written communications skills with demonstrated writing ability.
- Computer proficiency with experience in word processing and desktop publishing.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Self-motivated and directed.
- Skill in working collaboratively with other agencies and organizations.
- Strong commitment to serving diverse audiences and supporting equal opportunity and affirmative action goals.
- Background and skills in supervising other preferred.
The PSEP Professional is expected to:
- Work out of the Pest Management Office located in Orono, Maine with statewide and some multi-state responsibilities.
- Assume work responsibilities including evening and weekend commitments.
- Work with colleagues and appropriate agencies to create an annual plan of work that addresses the changing issues and needs of the citizens who benefit from Extension PSEP programs.
- In-state travel normally requiring a driver’s license. Is required with reimbursement at the contract rate.
University of Maine Cooperative Extension office hours are weekdays from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. The PSEP Professional will work a flexible schedule to meet the requirements of the position that may involve work beyond regular office hours.
The PSEP Professional is a regular full time position.
Performance Evaluation Schedule:
Performance evaluation will be conducted according to the UMPSA agreement.
Appropriate background checks are required.
All UMS employees are required to comply with applicable policies and procedures, as well as to complete applicable workplace related screenings, and required employee trainings, such as Information Security, Safety Training, Workplace Violence, and Sexual Harassment.
To apply, materials must be submitted via “Apply For Position”. You will need to create a profile and application; upload a cover letter and a resume/curriculum vitae which fully describes your qualifications and experiences with specific reference to the required and preferred qualifications; and provide contact information for three professional references. You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status form. Incomplete application materials cannot be considered. Review of applications will begin April 9, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Length:Fiscal Year (12 Months) Required Documents:Cover Letter, Resume/CV